Nothing screams health like glowing skin. Many of us are on the quest for it and the cosmetics and toiletries industry in Australia has capitalized on that fact – to the tune of $4 billion annually (and growing!).
But what if glowing skin didn’t come from the outside, but from the inside instead? And more specifically, the gut?
Research is now pointing more than ever to the connection between gut health and wellbeing, and to glowing skin! When you think about it, it makes perfect sense that our outsides are a reflection of what we have going on inside and that the true path to gorgeous, vibrant, clear skin is to nourish and glow from the inside out.
Our gut houses more than 80% of our immune system and our bodies are made up of 10 times more bacteria than human cells, with a large proportion of this bacteria in our digestive system. When our gut is compromised through modern lifestyle (diet, stress, etc) it is hard for our largest organ, the skin, to perform its job properly. The result could be acne, dull, dry skin, redness and even rosacea, eczema or psoriasis.
Fortunately there are steps we can take to get the glowing skin we’ve always wanted, as well as improve our overall vitality and immunity.
- Eat a varied diet of whole foods – avoid processed foods. Your body struggles to process these foods and your skin will suffer as you try to detox them. Eat plenty of vegetables including leafy greens and stock up on organic Changing Habits pantry staples to help nourish your system rather than burden it. You will soon find your tastebuds will crave these beautiful whole foods and your skin will thank you for it.
- Soothe your gut – heal and nourish your gut with organic Bone Broth. It will give your digestion a chance to renew, as well as provide easily assimilated nutrients. Bone broth is also a rich source of collagen which is much better to consume than to apply topically as the collagen molecule is too large to penetrate the skin. Collagen is responsible for strengthening, elasticity and dewy skin, so drink up!
- Feed your bugs – with so much bacteria in the body it is essential to have a healthy balance of good bacteria and less of the pathogenic ones. We can do this by consuming probiotic rich foods like fermented foods and drinks such as sauerkraut (above), kimchi, water kefir and coconut yoghurt. If you are buying it pre-made always look for an unpasturised variety to ensure the bacteria is still active. If you are keen on making your own, you can find a recipe for Simple Sauerkraut here. Or check out the Changing Habits Organic Probiotics powder which is rich in pro- and pre-biotics.
- Eat your fat – the healthy kinds of course! Good fats nourish the skin as well as satiate our systems. Look for whole sources such as avocados, seeds, nuts, Coconut Oil or Inca Inchi Oil to help keep your skin supple.
- Eliminate wheat – symptoms of common intolerances of wheat include skin issues and rashes. Wheat can also be very heavy on our digestive systems. Eliminating wheat can be a scary prospect for some, which is why the 6 Weeks No Wheat Program was created. It breaks the process down into a simple step-by-step approach. You can also check out the documentary What’s With Wheat to see why eliminating wheat could be one of the best decisions for your health, and skin!
We would love to know how you go with these tips! Leave us a comment so we can join you on your journey. In great health and great skin…
Blog lovingly provided by Glow With Nat Russell.